Why Botanical Skincare?
Humans have a deep-rooted, innate bond with the Earth. Connecting with and harvesting plants has always been a part of human life. That is why botanical skincare formulations made by hand and with love, are the most healing and nourishing to the skin. They are free from chemicals and preservatives and the difference is phenomenal. It’s similar to the difference between drinking a glass of fresh mountain spring water straight from the source that is rich with minerals, to drinking a can of chemically produced soda with synthetic ‘natural’ flavors and carcinogens. There truly is no comparison. They are completely different substances, just as handmade botanical skincare is to chemical ridden, machine-made skincare products.
The skin is the body's largest organ. We can eat organically and exercise, but if we’re putting chemicals on our skin, we are absorbing them into the blood stream which can have harmful effects on our health.
The amount of toxic ingredients in skincare and cosmetic products is shocking.
Here is a list of some of the most common:
Synthetic Fragrances (labels say: ‘Fragrance’ or ‘Parfum”
Polyethylene Glycol and Butylene Glycol
PFAs and PFCs
This list may seem a bit overwhelming, but it's intended as a wake-up call.
It's Springtime, a time for renewal, new beginnings and Spring cleansing.
Here are a few tips to start changing up your routine:
- Toss ALL of your chemical products and go on a shopping spree.
- Read labels and have fun trying new things to find what natural products are suited to your needs.
- If you want to take it slow, replace your products with something new and chemical free as you run out of them.
- Make a list of all the products you use daily and decide which ones you are willing to replace. Starting with some is better than none.
- Ask your friends and family for suggestions on natural products they love.
- Follow Instagram tags that Promote #chemicalfree #organicskincare and #cleanliving
- Try making your own products! (This magazine is the best for seasonal recipes! http://www.herbquarterly.com/)
Besides those that I make myself for Amaru Life, these are some of my daily go-to chemical free products:
- Dr. Bronner's Castille Soap: (#drbronners) all around soap, great for literally EVERYTHING!
- Andalou Naturals Shampoo and Conditioner (#andalounaturals)
- Crystal Mineral Deodorant Roll-on (#crystaldeodorant) Been using this deodorant for years and it works wonders for me!
- Himalaya Botanique Peppermint and Jāsön Toothpaste: I LOVE both of these toothpastes so I switch between the two. They have both definitely perfected the natural toothpastes.
One of my favorite resources for understanding ingredients is:
I hope this Blog encourages and INSPIRES you to drop your chemical skincare and body product routine and start supporting your skin with organic, nourishing and regenerative botanical remedies!